Friday, February 5, 2010

the baobab


if you believe the Arabic legend, the baobab tree was planted up-side-down by the devil himself (so it could no longer complain). from afar, it appears its branches are more likely to be roots.
it's magnificent.
some of them over 6000 years old. try to imagine what they've seen, try. they know it all.


haven't slept in 23 hours. insomnia, not good for my epilepsy. keep watching people walking by below my window. they appear free as they laugh, walk, lick the ice cream off their lower lip. unaware of how fortunate they are to not have to observe it all from a window instead. like an old woman in front of the TV, wistfully watching days of our lives.

the baobab tree, you'll find it in Africa. 18 hours with airplane. first class. -and countless ways to seizure before even landing. guess I'll just google it instead.

17 comments:

  1. Hello
    thanks for reading and commenting on my blog.
    I just followed yours.
    I didn't realise the baobab was a tree - I had heard Regina Spektor sing about a baobob but did not make the connection.
    I'll visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my next life, I want to come back as a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the trees that Little Prince had to remove from his planet,aren't they?Thanks for your comment!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. after a few sleepless nights, not sleeping is impossible.

    there are always silver linings, chere. you just have to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't know about the Little Prince, but this is in fact the tree of life in The Lion King. love.

    (sometimes it's a bit hard to find the silver linings, but thanks)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's awesome; so great learning something new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this urge to touch that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing tree and the legend behind it is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if it's lonely to be a baobob tree, living forever, watching the other trees wither around you. when you're six thousand years old, do days blink by? do mornings last a single deep breath?

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute post. the tree looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would be afraid all the time if I had epilepsi.. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just thinking the same thing, honeyheaded. what a way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 6000 years old, that is something to contemplate.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  15. "the baobab tree, you'll find it in Africa. 18 hours with airplane. first class. -and countless ways to seizure before even landing. guess I'll just google it instead."

    oh, i know how you feel. i know how you feel so sincerely it makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete